Considered the 'new' church of St. Oswald's, architect James Pigott (J.P.) Pritchett designed the building that was opened in 1866.
However, a fire soon damaged the church and it was restored 1877-78 without its original spire, which was considered unsafe to keep.
Located under the east window, the Salviati reredos from 1870 depicts the Lamb of God in the center, flanked by the usual symbols of the four Evangelists on either side. Each end also contains two figures.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2005. 125.
Pevsner, Nikolaus and David Neave. The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: York and the East Riding. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1995. 427.
British Listed Buildings
British History Online
Stamp, Allison. Wikimedia Commons. 2005.
Hinson, Colin. Genuki. 2009.