Designed by G.G. Scott, construction on the Cathedral was started in 1864, but it wasn't consecrated until 1881, nor completely finished until 1904.
Mrs. John Bealey gifted the center mosaic panel by Salviati to Christchurch Cathedral in 1882, the first in the set of six acts of mercy under the rose window crowning the entrance. The second from the left is from 1907, while the remaining four were made in 1970.
Unfortunately, the Cathedral was severely damaged in a series of 2011 earthquakes and it was demolished in 2012 in order to be properly rebuilt.
Welcome to ChristChurch Cathedral Brochure
Sandro Menzel's flickr Photostream
Brian McMorrow Mosaics