Located across the square from the Birmingham Council House, this monument was erected in 1880 to honor local M.P. and businessman Joseph Chamberlain.
Designed by John Henry Chamberlain, the structure bears a strong resemblance to G.G. Scott's Albert Memorial in London's Hyde Park. The mosaic embellishments consisting a floral motif were made by Salviati, Burke and Co.
The general stonework was by J. Barnsley and Sons and the carving was by S. Barfield and assistants.
GVG Imaging's flickr Photostream
Jan Grant's flickr Photostream
The urban snapper's flickr Photostream
The Building News and Engineering Journal. Vol. 39. Sept. 10, 1880. 315.