Also known as the Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity, this seat of the Anglican Bishop of Chichester was founded in 1075. Sir G.G. Scott had to rebuild the spire after it collapsed in 1861.
The Lady Chapel as it stands today was added to the Norman apsidal east end in the 13th century. It is seen on the left of the above picture. The chapel was restored in 1871.
Salviati made the mosaic for the alabaster reredos, which was designed by Richard Carpenter and Benjamin Ingelow and is dated 1878. The cartoons for Christ Appearing to the Disciples after the Resurrection were designed by Clayton and Bell.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008. 124.
Corlette, Hubert C. Bell's Cathedrals: Chichester. 1901.
British History Online
barnyz's flickr Photostream
Richard Gillin's flickr Photostream
Ian Crocker's flickr Photostream