A royal hunting lodge existed at this location as early as the 14th century. However, this specific great country house was designed for William Beauclerk, tenth Duke of St. Albans by S.S. Teulon and built 1862-65.
Salviati mosaics decorated the fireplace mantles in both the drawing room and the dining room.
Unfortunately, an 1893 fire originating in the drawing room caused significant damage, including destroying 25 paintings. At one point in the 20th century, it was used by the British Army, but since the mid-1970s, the lodge has been a Best Western hotel.
Salviati, Antonio. On Mosaics. 1865. 52.
Jacks, Leonard. The great houses of Nottinghamshire and the County Families. Nottingham: W. and A.S. Bradshaw. 1882. 18.
Best Western Bestwood Lodge