E.R. Robson designed the church that was built in 1864. In 1877, Sir George Eliot funded the addition of a tower and added a stone from the great pyramid of Giza into the base of the spire in thanksgiving for his safe return from Egypt.
The mosaic reredos of Christ and two angels is by Salviati.
Parishes of East and West Rainton on Facebook
Pevsner, Nikolaus and Elizabeth Williamson. Buildings of England: County Durham. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983. 500.
North-East History Tour
Digital Atlas of England