This former home of the painter Frederic, Lord Leighton has operated as a museum since 1929. George Aitchison designed the first part of the classical style building in 1864. Construction began two years later and lasted for thirty years.
A major extension in 1877-79 added an Arab Hall, which contains many objects from Leighton's extensive travels, as well as a mosaic frieze designed by Walter Crane. Crane based the designs of the hall on those of the palace at La Zisa in Palermo, Italy.
Salviati executed the mythological-themed gold mosaic work around 1881.
Salviati also made the mosaic portrait of Pisano in the Kensington Valhalla that was based upon an original painting by Leighton sometime after 1866.
Leighton House Museum
Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Jeanette Johansson's flickr Photostream