Parts of the Hatfield Parish church date to the 13th century. David Brandon rebuilt the nave in 1872 in a Victorian style.
The north chapel holding the tomb of the 1st Earl of Salisbury Robert Cecil was added in 1618 by his son. The third Marquess had the interior of the chapel adorned with Venetian mosaics by Salviati in 1871.
The Caen marble reredos showing the Marys at the Cross, flanked by St. Etheldreda and St. Alban on either side was carved by Thomas Earp. It was also decorated with Venetian mosaics by Salviati.
Pevsner, Nikolaus and Bridget Cherry. Buildings of England: Hertfordshire. New Haven: Yale University Press, 162.
Handbook for Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, and Huntingdonshire. London: John Murray, 1895. 37.
Images of Europe
Richard Rogerson on Geograph
Chris Beckett's flickr Photostream
Paul Hart on Panoramio
Ian A. Wood's flickr Photostream