Salviati made the mosaic of Christ that hung above the Warden's Chair in the college's Great Hall, which was used as a formal dining room. It was presented to the college by Dr. Henry Bailey, the school's second warden from 1850 to 1875, and was already in the room by 1882.
This may be the same mosaic the Venice and Murano Company showed at the 1880 Melbourne Expo.
It was an approximately 1/5th copy of the apse dome mosaic in St. Mark's Basilica, Venice shown below.
Above, the dining room today. However, the near wall that used to hold the mosaic cannot be seen, so it's current status is unknown.
Ewell, Robert. Guide to St. Augustine's Monastery and Missionary College. Canterbury: Cross and Jackman, 1896.
Thomson, Mortimer. The Divine Comedy of Patriotism. London: Simkin, Marshall & Co., 1882. 40.
Dennis Jarvis' flickr Photostream
Summer Language School