This Roman Catholic parish was founded in 1919, but the present church building dates to 1946.
The mosaic roundels of the twelve apostles located between the nave's arches were made by Salviati sometime before 1889 and they were listed on the firm's inventory for the 1893 World Columbian Exposition (or the Chicago World's Fair).
The roundels were initially installed in Philadelphia's St. James Episcopal Church, which was built in 1871 after designs by architects Frasier, Furness and Hewitt. However, this church - on the corner of Walnut and 22nd Streets - was sold in 1945 and subsequently demolished.
In May 1947, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the mosaics were being re-installed in St. Joan's. As of September 2013, there was the possibility that St. Joan's would be merged with another local parish and the building would be deconsecrated and sold.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1971. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008.
St. Joan of Arc Parish
Shinn, George Wolfe. King's handbook of notable Episcopal churches in the United States. Boston: Moses King Corporation, 1889. 138.
Skaler, Robert Morris and Thomas H. Keels. Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square. Chicago: Arcadia Publishing, 2008. 56.
Clark, Joe. "'Arc' Stands Tall after 75 Years." The Inquirer. September 30, 1994.
Harrowgate Picasa Webalbum
Lou Gold on This Cultural Christian
Philly and Stuff blog