Heavily influenced by British architectural critic John Ruskin, this church was built 1873-75 by Charles Amos Cummings and Willard T. Sears in the Venetian Gothic style, including a campanile (or tall tower), interior designs borrowed from the Doge's Palace, and a dome reminiscent of those of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice.
In addition to Salviati mosaics, the interior contains stained glass by both Louis Comfort Tiffany, as well as Clayton and Bell.
The east chancel wall has two doors that are crowned by Salviati mosaics
featuring the tree of life and other floral motifs. They were already
in place by 1875.
The third Salviati mosaic originally was located on the exterior of the church, above the main entrance. It was relocated to its current position in the vestibule when the tower was rebuilt 1922-37.
Old South Church
Sanctuary Virtual Tour