Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Albert Memorial Chapel, Windsor Castle

Among Antonio Salviati's first English commissions was an 1862 request from Queen Victoria for the decoration of the Wolsey Chapel in the east passage of St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, which was turned into the Albert Memorial Chapel soon after the December 1861 death of her beloved husband.

In addition to the tomb of Victoria's grandson Albert, Duke of Clarence (d. 1892), the chapel also contains the remains of her youngest son, Prince Leopold (d. 1884).

View of the eastern-end windows.

The 28 panels of the west wall's blank window are decorated with mosaics of full-length figures of historic individuals who have some type of connection to Windsor Castle including British Kings, Queens and Prelates. This section of mosaic was ordered separately in 1864.

The extensive ceiling mosaics that cover about 2,100 square feet, as well as the soffits of the side windows feature 92 angels, heraldry and floral motifs. The general designs were by G.G. Scott and the cartoons were created by J.R. Clayton. The ceiling mosaics were completed first, and the pre-fabrication (in Venice), transportation to London and installation took a total of ten months.

London Connection
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008. 18.
College of St. George Chapel Archives
Le Monde1's flickr Photostream
Aaron K Hall's flickr Photostream
Striderv's flickr Photostream
Mary Scots' flickr Photostream
Papers Read at the Royal Institute of British Architects. Session 1868-69. London: Rooms of the Institute. 1869. 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment