The parish was established in 1851, but construction on the present building designed by architect J. William Schickel was started only in 1895. It was dedicated in late 1898.
The Baptistry contains three mosaic panels depicting the life of St. John the Baptist. The cartoons were designed by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, while Salviati made and cut the tesserae. They were installed on site by Gorham Manufacturing.
Antonio Paoletti designed the mosaic Stations of the Cross that decorate most of the church and which were also made by Salviati and Company.
Three mosaic murals decorate the apse. They were also by Salviati after Paoletti's designs and these depict important moments from the life of St. Ignatius of Loyola.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008.
St. Ignatius of Loyola Church History
Car Los's flickr Photostream
New York Society of Jesus
Andy Hoxie's flickr Photostream