The neo-Byzantine style Church of the Erection of the Cross was built adjacent to the original palace by Russian court architect Ippolit Antonovich Monighetti 1864-66. It is the only building left from Monighetti's initial construction.
A painted icon of the exaltation of the cross was ruined by rain from a leaky roof, but Alexander Popov made a copy that Salviati used to create the mosaic replica, which is still located in the chapel.
Undated archival photo of the chapel's interior.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Guide, 2008. 132.
Podvalov on Wikimedia Commons
sarahelizabethii on Photobucket