This Norman church is unusual for England because of its cruciform shape. The north and south transepts were rebuilt by architect S.S. Teulon from 1849.
Teulon designed the reredos and they were executed by architectural carver Thomas Earp of Lambeth. Earp also carved the reredos for Parish Church of St. Peter Leeds and St. Mary Magdalene Paddington.
The altar reredos are mostly gold tesserae filling the trefoil arches, with the central symbols of alpha and omega flanking a cross. A receipt for 25 GBP was issued on January 30, 1869 by The Venice and Murano Glass and Mosaic Co. Ltd. (Salviati & Co.) for the reredos.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008. 122.
Simon_K's flickr Photostream
The National Archives