Designed by G.E. Street and built 1858-61, this was the architect's first London church.
The design for the mosaic of the "Ascension" on the arch above the chancel was copied from a 25 year old fresco in the church by G.F. Watts, which had deteriorated. The cartoons were taken by a former pupil of Watts, H.L. Moore. The Venice and Murano Glass and Mosaic Company installed the mosaic in 1886.
St. James the Less, Vauxhall Bridge Road, London
The Art Journal. Vol. 38. London: 1886. 94.
John Salmon on Wikimedia Commons
NetNicholl's flickr Photostream