Formerly the Palazzo Orengo, the villa is best known for its 18 hectares of botanical gardens (Giardini Botanici Hanbury) that is now operated by the University of Genoa.
Salviati manufactured the mosaic of Marco Polo with emblems of navigation that decorates a porch vestibule. It is signed "Salviati - 1888." The portrait is modeled after a painting by Giulio Carlini. Salviati exhibited an identical mosaic at the 1881 Milan Exhibition.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008. 58 & 129.
Gabriele Visconti's Picasa webalbum
palmasco's flickr Photostream
Italy Photo Gallery