The hospital was founded around 1180 and the current building dates to 1716.
During the time of Edward VI, the hospital annexed the tiny chapel of St. Michael located at the south-east corner of the Chapel Court complex. Rebuilt in 1723 by William Killigrew, the local architectural firm of Browne and Gill restored it in 1879.
Salviati made a mosaic of the Adoration of the Lamb located under the east windows.
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall is a Patron of the hospital, which is now a charity dedicated to taking care of the local poor elderly.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008. 137.
Peach, Robert Edward Myhill, Ed. A Brief History of the Hospital of St. John Baptist, Bath. Bath:
Charles Hallett, 1886. 48.
Mark Sunderland on Images of England
King, Austin J. and B.H. Watts. The municipal records of Bath, 1189 to 1604.1885. 53.
Forsyth, Michael. Bath. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003. 111-112.
Google Maps Street View
British Listed Buildings
Trish Steele on Geograph