When this theater was built in 1886, it was known locally as the Stadt-Theater Halle. It was designed by Heinrich Christian Seeling.
Salviati's mosaic figures and ornaments, designed by Otto Lessing of
Berlin, decorated the original building's western facade including the
spandrels above the arched windows, as well as the niches above the staircase.
The muses of Serenity and Tragedy were depicted in the mosaics located in the flat niches.
A bomb attack on March 31, 1945 destroyed much of the theater and it was subsequently rebuilt between 1949 and 1954.
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1917. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008. 130, 136.
Staude, Gustav. Das Stadt-theater zu Halle. 1886. 15, 59.